Monday, June 18, 2012

Day 15


Today had yet again a very rough start for myself; however, it wasn’t just a start it was rough for me all day.  I woke up this morning early in order to go to the pharmacy and find something for my nose, cough, throat, and stomach issues that I got yesterday.  Unfortunately absolutely no one spoke any English there and I ended up getting a very interesting medicine for only part of my problem areas.  Soon afterwards, the class bused over to Dachau Concentration Camp, which is not too far outside of Munich.  Dachau was the first camp built and was the model camp during the Nazi reign.   I found Dachau extremely eerie and sad to say the very least.  While there I was able to see parts of the museum, a film on the camp, and most of the buildings on the grounds.  I really wish that we had been given more than two hours to view the grounds, because I felt very rushed to be at such a historic place that I will be only go to once in my life probably.  While at the grounds I was able to see a replica of the living quarters for the prisoners, the memorials for the Jewish, Russian, and Christian inmates, the gas chambers, and the crematorium. 










Upon leaving the Concentration Camp, the class headed over to see the BMW Welt, BMW Museum, and Munich’s 1972 Olympic Park.  

Upon arriving there I had a delicious lunch at BMW’s Bistro.  And, despite being sick I enjoyed getting to see all the BMW cars and demonstrations going on in the complex.  Below, I’m on a motorcycle with the stunt driver and in the little bitty car that drives around the center.



Sadly, we discovered that the BMW Museum was closed for some reason and that parts of the Olympic Park were closed as well.  However, we were still able to see some areas of the park and go inside of the swimming hall. 



I honestly did not understand why we were allotted four hours for this area, yet originally we were only allotted 1.5 hours for the Concentration Camp.  In my opinion I find the history of the brutality of the camps farm more interesting than looking at BMW’s for hours.  

After we finally were able to leave the BMW complex we headed over to a very unique looking Catholic church, the Herz-Jesu Church.  I found this building to look more like a rubrics cube than a church. 

Upon leaving we returned back to our hotel, where Sarah and I then proceeded to head to the grocery store.  While there I loaded up on some more liquids that will with any luck help my throat.  After eating dinner, I called it an early night so I could hopefully get some extra sleep to help make me feel better.

No comments:

Post a Comment