Monday, June 11, 2012

Day 8


Today, Monday the 11th, we started off the day by getting a history lecture leading us up to the Industrial Revolution and the Wilhelmian Era.  Also, he explained to us that the Berlin Dome was originally supposed to be the equivalence to the Vatican for Protestants. 
I found the inside of the church very, very beautiful.  I was so happy that we were able to climb our way to the top of the dome, because there they had incredible views of the city.
After making our way down to from the Church’s Dome we broke for lunch, where Aaliyah and I went to go get Panini’s and authentic German desserts (which were amazing)!  Afterwards we started off Museum Island by first going to the Pergammon Museum, which I enjoyed mainly because of how many Greek and Roman artifacts they had on display.  I really found it amazing that they had transported a whole ancient Greek temple to the Museum.


We then headed to the Neues Museum where they had an extremely large emphasis on Egyptian artifacts.  There I learned all about how they embalmed their livers, lungs, kidneys, and heart.   Also, while there a one of the tour guides/security team came up to Aaliyah and me to telling us the story of the people of Nalta.  I wish that they had the mummies on display, but they were being renovated, which disappointed me.

Lastly, some of the group then headed over to the Altes Museum.  There they had a large collection of sculptures and pottery.  I enjoyed getting to see more Greek art and such. 
Our group ended up leaving the Museum right before they were to close.  When I came back to the apartments I was very pleased to gain an Apple computer Internet stick for our room; however, the stick still does not work well and takes ample amount of time to load anything and everything.  Like I have said multiple times over the week, hopefully our Internet problems will work themselves out sooner than later.

1 comment:

  1. Yay about the Apple stick! Hope it works soon.
    Currently, the power is out here.

    ReplyDelete